[OpenAFS] AFS question

Brent Graveland brent@graveland.net
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 09:52:24 -0500

Quoting Paul Blackburn <mpb@est.ibm.com>:

> Hello Simeone,
>
> I have a logfile from a script I used to install AFS servers
> on AIX which gives you an example:
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/hi/plutonic/logs/mk_afs_srv
>
> It's not going to be exactly what you need but it will
> show you the steps used to create a cell using Transarc AFS
> (pretty similar to OpenAFS).
>
> For documentation, have you looked at both the Transarc
> and OpenAFS doc websites?
>
> http://www.transarc.ibm.com/Library/documentation/afs/3.6/unix/en_US/HTML/
> http://www.openafs.org/pages/doc/index.htm
>
> Have you attended any AFS admin courses?
> If you can, they are very useful to give you a good understanding.
Where would one find these AFS courses?  Do they still exist from IBM or are
they from somebody else?

> You might also think about creating a "test cell"
> for you to "play and try stuff out".
>
> I am not aware of any issues in having a 1.5 T partition
> (never been fortunate to have that much disk space! :-)
> (Perhaps others on this list will comment on that.)
> I would choose the biggest partition size you can but take care
> to keep the volumes you create below 8gb.
What reasons are there (technical, practical, or just traditional?) for keeping
a volume under 8gb?  My largest volume is 60GB and other than the amount of time
it would take to addsite or move it, it works fine.

--
Brent Graveland
brent@graveland.net