[OpenAFS] pts groups

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya@MIT.EDU
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 23:43:47 -0500

> There is a group "math" for the mathematical institution at our campus,
> there are also groups like "math:www" and "math:optsyst" those are ALL
> created by members of the group "system:administrators", i want that for
> example the owner(s) of the group "math" could make a new group like
> "math:cool-conference-this-week" and i want the owner(s) of the group
> "math:optsyst" to create a group like "math:optsyst:coolproject".
>
> I there functionality in OpenAFS today that i could use ?

The first already exists (below is an example of how to make such groups).
The second is kind-of hard to implement.  Actually, anyone can create such
groups, as long as the owner group isn't empty and isn't a system:* group.
Observe:

  contents-vnder-pressvre~> pts ex ktest -c zone
  Name: ktest, id: -16777722, owner: kolya.root, creator: kolya.root,
    membership: 0, flags: S-M--, group quota: 0.
  contents-vnder-pressvre~> pts ex ktest:a -c zone
  Name: ktest:a, id: -16777733, owner: ktest, creator: kolya.root,
    membership: 1, flags: S-M--, group quota: 0.
  contents-vnder-pressvre~> pts mem ktest:a -c zone
  Members of ktest:a (id: -16777733) are:
    kolya.root
  contents-vnder-pressvre~> pts createg ktest:b -owner ktest:a -c zone
  group ktest:b has id -16777734
  contents-vnder-pressvre~> pts ex ktest:b -c zone
  Name: ktest:b, id: -16777734, owner: ktest:a, creator: kolya,
    membership: 0, flags: S-M--, group quota: 0.
  contents-vnder-pressvre~>

At this point, of course, I can't do much with the group I created, because
I'm not in the owner group..

-- kolya