[OpenAFS] File Permissions between Windows, AFS, and Linux

David Bear David.Bear@asu.edu
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 10:12:00 -0700

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 08:24:50AM -0500, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> Tyler Hepworth wrote:
> >
> > being copied to the AFS share.  Does anyone know how to prevent files
> > from being set as executable when copied from Windows to AFS and then
> > viewed on linux?
>   Off hand, I know of no solution to this. This is not just specific to
> AFS. When I read any files from DOS/windows under unix, then all of the
> files are executable. This is the same if I copy a DOS file to unix via
> Samba, or if I read a DOS floppy.

This is controllable with sambe.  It allows you to decide how samba maps the FAT hidden, system, archive, readonly bits into the unix rwx bits.  I've never seen if AFS permits this kind of control.

--

David Bear
College of Public Programs/ASU