[OpenAFS] File Permissions between Windows, AFS, and Linux

Jason Edgecombe jedgecombe@carolina.rr.com
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:24:50 -0500

Tyler Hepworth wrote:

> I have the AFS client installed on Windows XP.  When I place a file on
> an AFS share from Windows, the file permissions (as viewed from a linux
> client) are -rwxrwxrwx.  Because linux sees the file as executable, it
> allows me to attempt  to execute the file.  This happens whether the
> file is text, binary or otherwise.  If I copy a file from a linux client
> to an AFS share, the file maintains the same permissions it had before
> being copied to the AFS share.  Does anyone know how to prevent files
> from being set as executable when copied from Windows to AFS and then
> viewed on linux?
>

> Thanks for any assistance,
>
> Tyler

Hello,

  Off hand, I know of no solution to this. This is not just specific to
AFS. When I read any files from DOS/windows under unix, then all of the
files are executable. This is the same if I copy a DOS file to unix via
Samba, or if I read a DOS floppy.

   I'm not sure if this helps.

Jason Edgecombe