[OpenAFS] any gotchas to adding/changing endian'ness of a database server

Jimmy Engelbrecht jimmy@e.kth.se
27 Nov 2002 19:53:41 +0100

"Neulinger, Nathan" <nneul@umr.edu> writes:

> We're planning on replacing our three solaris 2.6 based database servers
> real soon (prior to end of year) with a set of linux boxes. Is there
> anything to watch out for here, or should we just do the update like a
> regular db server update - copy the files as is, and restart? (IP addrs
> and hostnames will be staying the same.)

openafs.org was running one DB-server on alpha/Tru64 one on sparc/Solaris
and the last one on i386/linux for about 2 months, everything worked just
fine.

I also switched from 3 alphas to 3 linux-boxes in my home-cell e.kth.se
without any problem.

i did just a "regular update" i both cases, i did not copy files.

However, there is one warning..

- do not ever ever ever get in a state where the master do not have a
  complete database. Replace them one by one in a smart order and be
  PATIENT, it takes some time.

  if you use vos from arla you can do: /usr/arla/bin/vos listvldb -dbserver
  <dbserver> to check the database of an particular DB-server.

  /usr/arla/bin/pts has similar functinality.

The following page helps watching UBIK:

http://www.pdc.kth.se/cgi-bin/survey/ubik?afs1.umr.edu+afs6.umr.edu+afs5.umr.edu

/Jimmy