[OpenAFS] "lost contact" after debian upgrade

Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs 6delgado@informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 00:24:09 +0100

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

Hi all!

Here's the update, as promised (I didn't have the time to build a new
kernel until now).

Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs schrieb:
> Nov 12 22:08:57 ------- kernel: afs: Lost contact with file server
> for the server)
[snip]
> I use a 2.4.19 kernel with low latency and preemption patches, which
> has worked reliably with OpenAFS 1.2.6. (well maybe OpenAFS 1.2.7 has
> a problem with these patches i don't know of).
Ok, i tried an unpatched 2.4.20 kernel now, which works fine and a
2.4.20 kernel with the preemption patch (same config, except for the
preemption stuff). The vanilla kernel exhibited no problems while the
kernel with the preemption patch exhibited the mentioned problem right
away.

Uhm, i don't understand much of the way the kernel scheduling, that
preemption stuff and libafs works... could it be that the client
thread is somehow "preempted" a little too long, which results in the
timeout?

Dunno...

*scratching head*

I will not use those patches for a while then, which is a pity,
because they help interactive performance quite a bit in some cases.

Kind regards
     Friedel
--=20
	Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
Laziness led to the invention of the most useful tools.

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT--