[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on RedHat 8.0

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Tue, 01 Oct 2002 11:30:05 -0400

--On Tuesday, October 01, 2002 09:41:45 -0500 Troy Dawson <dawson@fnal.gov>
wrote:

> /usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.18-14-i686.mp.o: unresolved symbol
> sys_call_table

This is because some smart kernel developer decided that it is Evil for
modules to manipulate (and in most cases use) the system call entry points,
and decided to forbid it by removing the functionality. Various
openafs-oriented people had been in touch with kernel developers to see if
afs's needs could be met. I thought that something had been worked out....,
but at first glance, I don't see a syscall registration function in any of
the RH 8 kernel patches.

In any case, I think I this can be hacked around in redhat kernels by using
kallsyms_symbol_to_address, but it will take me a few days before I'll be
able to get to it (having to install a machine and all).