[OpenAFS] volume disappeared

Francisco Yumiceva yumiceva@sc.edu
Fri, 04 Oct 2002 19:45:21 -0400

Hi,

I removed the volume and I ran the salvage. Now, I got
access to the volume but I lost many files. I guess the
backup volume is gone after "rm V0536870923.vol" so bad :(
because the nightly backup also failed:
Last error exit at Fri Oct  4 01:00:05 2002, due to signal 13

I wonder if I would have been able to recover that volume or
the only solution was to remove it?. No idea what caused the
error in the backup.

Thanks,
Francisco

>   Well hopefully that is supposed to be "-server". ;)  But I would try this
> command:
>
> bos salvage -server myserver -partition /vicepa -volume user.yumiceva -salvagedirs -orphans remove
>
>   That's the command I normally use.  BUT...looking at what you've shown, it
> looks like the volume is online, so it's probably not bad.  It will normally
> take a volume off-line if it needs salvaged.  I'm guessing that VI 536870923 is
> the backup volume of the user.  That should not affect accessing the actual
> volume.  What error messages are you getting when you try to access the volume?
> I'm assuming it's mounted and you're trying to cd into it when you get these
> errors?
>
>   As for the backup, if you'd like to fix that, here's the way I always use,
> which works as well as any other.  Just log into myserver as root, and cd to
> the partition that the volume is on, and do an "rm V0536870923.vol".  Make sure
> that volume's there first of course(and make sure you have the right volumeid
> ;).  Once you've done that, then you can just do a vos backup user.yumiceva.
>
> I hope this helps you some, if not, try answering my above questions and
> sending back to the list.
>
> Thanks,
>   Tim
>

>>Here are the symptoms:
>>vos listvol myserver
>>user.white                        536870924 RW         57 K On-line
>>user.white.backup                 536870926 BK         57 K On-line
>>user.yumiceva                     536870921 RW    1954701 K On-line
>>**** Could not attach volume 536870923 ****
>>
>>Total volumes onLine 17 ; Total volumes offLine 1 ; Total busy 0
>>
>>When I do "bos status myserver -long" I see this error:
>>Instance backupusers, (type is cron) currently running normally.
>>     Auxiliary status is: run next at Sat Oct  5 01:00:00 2002.
>>     Process last started at Fri Oct  4 01:00:01 2002 (5 proc starts)
>>     Last exit at Fri Oct  4 01:00:05 2002
>>     Last error exit at Fri Oct  4 01:00:05 2002, due to signal 13
>>     Command 1 is '/usr/sbin/vos backupsys -prefix user -localauth'
>>     Command 2 is '1:00'
>>
>>I cannot acces the volumen user.yumiceva may be because something is
>>wrong with the backup.
>>
>>Please, I need help with this.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Francisco
>>--

Francisco Yumiceva
High Energy Group - Dept. of Physics & Astronomy
University of South Carolina
phone: 803.7771438

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~yumiceva