[OpenAFS] volume disappeared

Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs 6delgado@informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 02:01:45 +0200

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

Hi!

Francisco Yumiceva schrieb:
> I removed the volume and I ran the salvage. Now, I got=20
> access to the volume but I lost many files. I guess the=20
> backup volume is gone after "rm V0536870923.vol" so bad :(=20
> because the nightly backup also failed:
> Last error exit at Fri Oct  4 01:00:05 2002, due to signal 13
Yeah, with "-orphans attach" instead of "-orphans remove" you would
have kept your data, but the directory structure was lost forever
(i.e. the orphaned files and directories would have been attached to
the mountpoint of your volume and named AFSORPHAN-1232423 or some such
(i can't remember it exactly, had to do this once before))

> I wonder if I would have been able to recover that volume or=20
> the only solution was to remove it?. No idea what caused the=20
> error in the backup.
I have a guess what might have caused the error.

May i ask what version of OpenAFS you are using on which Operating
System?

> >bos salvage -server myserver -partition /vicepa -volume user.yumiceva=20
> >-salvagedirs -orphans remove
Bad, bad, bad... I wonder why Tim C. didn't ask which OpenAFS Version
and OS you were using...

Well, a little consolation: Moving the attached orphans around is no
fun at all and takes a lot of time... So restoring the tapes from
yesterday is probably the better solution anyways.

Ciao
	Friedel
--=20
	Friedrich Delgado Friedrichs <friedel@nomaden.org>
Laziness led to the invention of the most useful tools.

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi

--6c2NcOVqGQ03X4Wi--