[OpenAFS] pam and openafs 1.2.7 for RH 7.2

David Botsch dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 12:09:53 -0400

I wanted to reply to some of the comments that had been made about
openssh and afs recently.

OpenSSH can authenticate in several ways. Password authentication,
rhosts authentication, kerberos authentication, and others. As of
openssh-3.4p1, to my knowledge, you cannot actually authenticate with
an afs token. You can only pass the token after authentication. With
Kerberos, however, you may be able to authenticate with the tgt you
already have. So, AFTER authentication (not before as used to be the
case), openssh can pass kerberos TGTs and afs tokens. It will
appropriately set a pagsh. You must compile openssh with the --with-afs
--with-kerberos4 --with-kerberos5 (both client and server). I do not
believe that token passing actually involves PAM (you would use PAM if
you were doing password auth, but the process of doing a password auth
with PAM would get you an afs token).

fyi, openssh has a bug in the part of the code which sets the location
of the ticket cache. It was depending on the error behavior of the
mkstemp glibc function (and this error behavior has changed). This
should only affect things like password auth and not ticket/token
passing.

--
David William Botsch