[OpenAFS] AFS access rights and novell printer queues.

Daniel Swärd excds@kth.se
09 Oct 2002 16:30:47 +0200

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 15:54, Derek Atkins wrote:
> lp_D_ needs it?  Or lpr?  If the former, you are out of luck.  Are you
> really expecting the lpd to run in some authenticated PAG?  How would
> it authenticate?  What would stop some user from gaining root on a
> cluster machine and abusing that authentication?

Nothing I guess.

> If it's the latter, and it's really lp_R_ that needs the file, then
> you just need to make sure the users are running in a PAG or that lpr
> is NOT setuid -- so it uses the user's authentication.

I can change to lprng if it's better and can use authentication from the
printing user. Does lprng use the same style of printer filters as lpd?

> Another choice you have it is setup a network lpr-queue that has its
> OWN netware-print password, so Unix people print to the lpr queue and
> it forwards on to the netware queue.

Setting up a remote printer queue with a _single_ netware-password is
not an option... All the students here have sort of a "print-quota"...
Otherwise I wouldn't be having these problems at all.

Whoever said bureacracy made life easier?

	/Daniel