[OpenAFS] Web Browsers

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
09 Oct 2002 10:45:13 -0400

Michael Robokoff <mrobo@ahpcrc.org> writes:

> Okay, I checked the cache and this is what I had:
> AFS using 73370 of the cache's available 100000 1K byte blocks.
> The file was about 4MB so it was larger than the cache. So I increased my

Eh?  100,000 1K blocks is a 100MB cache  4MB = 4000K == 4000 1K byte blocks
So your cache was fine..

> cache by 10x to: 1000000 1K byte blocks. and re-tried the download. I
> noticed the cache usage did not increase much. AFS using 77294 of the
> cache's available 1000000 1K byte blocks. Then I noticed network
> activity continued when the browsers were hung. So I waited several minutes
> and the download eventually completed. It is strange that during that
> time I
> cannot stop the download or the browser without taking aggresive action.
> Yet it appears after it does finally complete the browser returns to normal.

Note that AFS uses write-back caching..  It will wire out the data to
the server at "close()".  How fast is your network link between your
client and your AFS server?  If it's a slower link (like a Cablemodem)
then writing out 4MB can take a bit of time.

> --Mike

-derek