[OpenAFS] ACLs and open-afs

Ray Link rlink+@pitt.edu
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:41:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, E.Spencer B. wrote:

> I'm having a discussion with my co-workers about open-afs.  We are aware
> of the ACL limitations with afs (as far as setting them on directories and
> not files).  My question is can open-afs on a Solaris 2.6 or higher box
> make use of Solaris ACLs within the open-afs environment using the setfacl
> and getfacl commands?

No, Solaris ACLs are UFS-only.  When attempting to use Solaris ACLs
within AFS, the acl(2) syscall fails with ENOSYS. According to errno.h,
that translates to "Unsupported file system operation".

Since AFS runs on multiple platforms, this wouldn't buy you much anyways
if it worked.  What would happen to someone with, say, a Linux client
that has no notion of Solaris ACLs?

==== Ray Link === University of Pittsburgh CSSD === rlink@pitt.edu ====

"Everytime you declare main() as returning void - somewhere a little
baby cries.  So please, do it for the children."  -- Daniel Fox