[OpenAFS] ACLs and open-afs

E.Spencer B. m1esb00@frb.gov
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:10:03 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Ray Link wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, E.Spencer B. wrote:
>
> > I'm having a discussion with my co-workers about open-afs.  We are aware
> > of the ACL limitations with afs (as far as setting them on directories and
> > not files).  My question is can open-afs on a Solaris 2.6 or higher box
> > make use of Solaris ACLs within the open-afs environment using the setfacl
> > and getfacl commands?
>
> No, Solaris ACLs are UFS-only.  When attempting to use Solaris ACLs
> within AFS, the acl(2) syscall fails with ENOSYS. According to errno.h,
> that translates to "Unsupported file system operation".

Sorry to hear this, has anyone tried to mod this behavior?

> Since AFS runs on multiple platforms, this wouldn't buy you much anyways
> if it worked.  What would happen to someone with, say, a Linux client
> that has no notion of Solaris ACLs?

Well, with Solaris ACLs and non-Solaris ACL interpreters like Linux, the
Solaris ACLs are honored (permissions granted or not granted depending on
the Solaris ACL), but you cannot set them from non-Solaris ACL
interpreters like Linux from an NFS mounted Solaris exported filesystem.

Thanks again for the help,