[OpenAFS] More Info - RedHat 7.3 with new 2.4.18-17 kernel

Troy Dawson dawson@fnal.gov
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:51:45 -0500

Howdy,
Incase this helps anyone, or saves anyone some time.
I have RedHat 7.3, and updated to their latest errata kernel (2.4.18-17.7.x).
  I did what was already said.  I first recompiled the 7.3 rpm's hopeing that
RedHat didn't mess too much with this kernel.  As you already know, they did,
and I got the same error already shown when loading the module

----------
/usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.18-17.7.x-i686.mp.o: unresolved symbol
sys_call_table
/usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.18-17.7.x-i686.mp.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
       and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
       assistance, only they can help you.
----------

So I then recompiled the 8.0 rpm's, double checking to make sure that patch
was in there and would complile.  Well, here's the error now that you get when
you try to load in the module.

-------------
/usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.18-17.7.x-i686.mp.o: unresolved symbol
kallsyms_symbol_to_address
/usr/vice/etc/modload/libafs-2.4.18-17.7.x-i686.mp.o:
Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
       and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
       assistance, only they can help you.

I hope this helps someone.

On a side note.  I'm pretty sure some official people from OpenAFS have
complained to RedHat, but is there anything that some of us users can do to
let them know that they should stop doing things like this, just because
OpenAFS isn't GPL'ed?  I'm sure it's breaking more things than AFS, but for me
this is the only thing that I'm seeing.

Troy Dawson

Troy Dawson  dawson@fnal.gov  (630)840-6468
Fermilab  ComputingDivision/OSS  CSI Group