[OpenAFS] More Info - RedHat 7.3 with new 2.4.18-17 kernel

Dan Pritts danno@internet2.edu
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:36:26 -0400

> Hint: You are trying to load a module without a GPL compatible license
>       and it has unresolved symbols.  Contact the module supplier for
>       assistance, only they can help you.

I had this same problem with win4lin's kernel module, but I don't really
know what they did to fix it, they just pointed me to a newer download.

If i recall correctly, the bottom line i was that certain system calls
are no longer exposed in the kernel to modules that do not declare
themselves to be GPL'd.

The way win4lin seems to have dealt with this is to release its code
as two kernel modules, one which has all the interaction with the rest
of the kernel, and is GPL'd.

> On a side note.  I'm pretty sure some official people from OpenAFS have
> complained to RedHat, but is there anything that some of us users can do to
> let them know that they should stop doing things like this, just because
> OpenAFS isn't GPL'ed?  I'm sure it's breaking more things than AFS, but for
> me this is the only thing that I'm seeing.

FWIW I believe it is not Red Hat's doing, but Linus/the kernel team.

As much as I hate M$, this kind of stuff from GPL fanatics really
lends credence to M$'s anti-open-source "infectious licensing" crap.

danno
--
dan pritts                                       danno@internet2.edu
systems administrator                            734/352-4953 office