[OpenAFS] More Info - RedHat 7.3 with new 2.4.18-17 kernel

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:40:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Dan Pritts wrote:

> If i recall correctly, the bottom line i was that certain system calls
> are no longer exposed in the kernel to modules that do not declare
> themselves to be GPL'd.

The GPL issue isn't the problem. The sys_call_table export is.

> FWIW I believe it is not Red Hat's doing, but Linus/the kernel team.

As far as 2.4.18/2.4.19, you believe wrong. It's easy to verify. Download
one from ftp.kernel.org, and note that sys_call_table is exported.

> As much as I hate M$, this kind of stuff from GPL fanatics really
> lends credence to M$'s anti-open-source "infectious licensing" crap.

Your rage may be well-directed but ill-justified per above.