[OpenAFS] Volume management for non-AFS-admins

Nathan Rawling nrawling@firedrake.net
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:06:28 -0400 (EDT)

> I imagine that many AFS sites have such a facility in production.
> I`d very appreciate any pointers/comments to such tools.

The last time I had to solve this problem (a few years ago), I used ADM
from Carnegie-Mellon. ADM is a client-server application scriptable in
Scheme, a LISP derivative.

I know a number of sites have used it to great success, although I found
the Scheme authoring to be a somewhat distasteful part of the process. I
did manage to implement a number of functions that you are describing
though with this tool.

I wrapped up the client utility "admclt" with a Perl script using the
Expect module to provide a layer of userproofing. This reduced the amount
of error-checking code I had to write in Scheme. Obviously, the
permissions checking still needed to take place in Scheme, but most other
checks and formatting happened in Perl.

I always told myself, however, that if I had to do it over again, I would
write a daemon in Perl using some of the client/server modules available
there, and possibly the AFS module, although it was dreadfully out-of-date
the last time I looked at it.

Nathan