[OpenAFS] kaserver vs. Kerberos IV

Aaron J. Angel aangel@myrealbox.com
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 18:58:56 -0500

Derek Atkins wrote:
> please cc: openafs-info on your resonses...

Didn't I?  Sorry, forgot the second time.

> v4 and v5 are different protocols.  But you don't want to use v4.
> What other v4 apps do you use?  If AFS is your only kerberized app,
> then you are MUCH better off using v5 (which is 2002 technology)
> than v4 (which in 1988 technology).

Ah; I see.  Well, I haven't gotten any Kerberos software except that pam
module...unfortunately, it has proven a bit difficult to find, let alone
actually compile, *any* kerberized applications.  So I guess KRB5 would
be the best way to go, if I can get any KRB5 applications working.  I'd
like to get SSH and Telnet, at the very least, as well as OpenLDAP2.

>>Another question; how would one create a principal with a specific
>>instance using kaserver?
>

> I dont know.  It's easy in v5 ;)

It's easy in V4 too, just not documented (if even available) in KA.