[OpenAFS] afsd dying on win2k

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:19:53 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Rodney M Dyer wrote:

> >I don't think that's clear, but I can tell you I certainly don't have the
> >time to care.
>
> Just on the side, my colleagues and I think it's funny that you say
> this.  Are you paid as an OpenAFS help desk person?

I have 2 jobs, some percent of one of them is devoted to OpenAFS issues
and the other is also OpenAFS related.

> You seem to have
> enough time to respond to just about everything that hits this list.  Do
> you ever have time for anything else?  ;)

Some.

> I can only hope my sting was "mostly harmless", but it was intended to draw
> out comments on just what is going on in the group relative to Windows
> support.

A lot, but not coherently organized. Perhaps that is part of the problem.

> that someone is pony'ing up for support.  But, is the version that Morgan
> Stanley using available as open source?  Can anyone get a copy of it?  Is
> it a forked version of OpenAFS?  What is different about it?  How much
> would it cost us?

It's not (apparently) forked OpenAFS, we got patches from Morgan Stanley
for the real OpenAFS windows client (the incident is still open in the
openafs-bugs queue)

> glue everything together as a working unit.  It all works great except now
> we are having trouble weaning ourselves away from the kaserver.  Seems the
> Transarc/OpenAFS "klog.exe" can't be forwarded to the "fakeka"
> daemon.  This wouldn't be a problem except that it is a real annoyance for
> our users to "kinit" then "aklog" at the command line by hand.  And, we're
> having problems with "aklog" behind a NAT router for some reason I can't
> fathom (yes, we've tried addressless tickets).

I suppose replacing kinit with one that does aklog is right out? We
(OpenAFS) are going to have to deal with this in the near future to
support the Kerberos 5 bridge proposal support which is actually expected
to be useful (though not mandatory) in 1.2.8.