[OpenAFS] afsd dying on win2k

Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:23:21 -0500

>>>>> "Rodney" == Rodney M Dyer <rmdyer@uncc.edu> writes:

Rodney> I'm glad to hear from Mr. Phil Moore at Morgan Stanley.

Please...  Just "Phil".   That sounds so.... official.

Rodney> I'm glad to hear that someone is pony'ing up for support.
Rodney> But, is the version that Morgan Stanley using available as
Rodney> open source?  Can anyone get a copy of it?  Is it a forked
Rodney> version of OpenAFS?  What is different about it?  How much
Rodney> would it cost us?

We use the same source code from openafs.org as everyone else.  The
only thing special is that we might get to run critical bug fixes
before everyone else, since we get Sine Nomine to fix our problems
(which they have been outstanding at) and provide us with the fixes
first.  But *everything* Sine Nomine does for us gets rolled back into
the CVS tree for openafs, and eventually finds it way intto your
systems when you upgrade.

Not only are we working closely with Sine Nomine to get bugs fixed, we
also contribute some of our own fixes (our staff recently submitted
several small patches for the Windoze client, for example).

In addition, not only are we paying for support, we seperately
contract for significant enhancements to the product, for new
functionality that we need to make our environment more manageable.
In all cases, the changes made on our behalf get rolled into the CVS
tree.

We do NOT under any circumstances want to be running a "special"
version of the OpenAFS product.  To do so would be a strategic mistep
of the worts kind.  We are able to leverage Open Source software
precisely because many others use the same code base, and we benefit
from bug fixes and enhancements by doing so.  Running a special
version would reduce or eliminate our ability to benefit from such
leverage.