[OpenAFS] no cache size in cacheinfo, 100% of space

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:49:12 +0000

Joerg Sommer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>how can I say afsd that it should use the whole partition? And can afsd
>determine itself the partition size?
>
>Joerg.

afsd is not able to use 100% of the disk cache partition.

There is some explanation in the Transarc AFS documentation here:
http://www.transarc.ibm.com/Library/documentation/afs/3.6/unix/en_US/HTML/QkBegin/auqbg007.htm#HDRWQ146

If you look at the disk cache (eg /usr/vice/cache in Transarc AFS) just
after you install and start the AFS Cache Manager and before you start
accessing files in /afs, you will find lots of files used by the Cache
Manager.

The "rule of thumb" for computing the cache size from the disk cache
local filesystem size (eg /usr/vice/cache) is 80% for AIX.

I wrote some scripts to automate installation of AFS on AIX
( http://www.angelfire.com/hi/plutonic/afs_install.html ).

This ksh snippet from afs_install's mk-afs-cli script shows the calculation:

--
cheers
paul                        http://acm.org/~mp