[OpenAFS] openafs + gdm + home directory

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:14:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Klaas Hagemann wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your answers,
> i set the acls to system:anyuser l and it works, probably gdm checks the
> home directory as the user gdm or something else.
> Now another problem occurs:
> When i want to end the gnome-session, the session hangs up.
> As far as i can see it, the afs-token is destroyed before all data is
> written back to the home-directory.
> So the option "Last Session" in gdm does not work either.
>
> Any ideas?

I used to write PAM modules. Then I realized PAM sucks. 2 problems:
1) everyone applies it differently. Someone's login opened and closed a
session immediately, I got tokens and then they went away!
2) unless you cheat and use one of the stacker modules, lacks power to do
things like a module saying "i decline to succeed or fail"

If you can change from a session to a (auth) setcred or vice versa module
that might fix it. It's just a really crappy problem.

If you're bored, try to find pam_syslog (might be in
ftp://ftp.dementia.org/pub/pam) and set it up to syslog before and after
the session is closed, and see if it's closing the session too late.