[OpenAFS] Serious problem upon rebuild

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
22 Sep 2002 11:21:15 -0400

Madhusudan Singh <chhabra@eecs.umich.edu> writes:

> That brings up another question. In the /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 tree,
> there were many rpms after the rebuild. One of them, interestingly
> enough, was an openafs-1.2.6-kernel.src.rpm (not sure of the name beyond
> the fact that it was a kernel src rpm). Would a simple rpm --rebuild
> <that kernel src rpm> do the trick for me ?

no.

> |>Cache size (100000) should be less than 95 %(which is 96035) ... Lower
> |>cache size
> |

> | How big is your /usr/vice/cache partition?

> 100 MB. Which was the original size of the filespace quota on AFS
> for me . Now that quota is 200 MB. However, the old openafs (1.2.4)
> rpms worked just fine even after the change. Would I be correct in
> assuming that the size of the cache partition would ultimately
> affect only the speed of the access, and not the possibility of
> operation per se ?

Note that your AFS volume quota != AFS Cache Size.  What I want to
know is the output of:

        df /usr/vice/cache

The fact that your personal quota was increased from 100M to 200M is
irrelevant to the size of your cache.  The size of your cache only
matters in so far as the amount of data you can cache and reuse
without going back to the server.  There are tradeoffs for larger
caches.  In particular, the larger the cache, the larger the overhead.
However, the larger the cache, the more files you cacn store
locally....

> I can understand that. So basically, the binary rpms, follow the
> 'updates' tree of RedHat.

Yes.

> | This means you compiled against a non-RH kernel source tree, which
> | you cannot do.
> |
> | Might I suggest:
> |
> | 1) rpm -e All your openafs RPMs (remove everything)
> | 2) rm -rf /usr/vice
>
> The entire directory ?? Or just the modload tree ?

The entire directory...  (modulo the AFS Cache, but you probably
want to clean out the cache, too.)

You probably want:
        rm -rf /usr/vice/etc
        rm -f /usr/vice/cache/*Items

> | 3) rpm -ivh openafs, openafs-client, openafs-kernel, openafs-kernel-source
> |    (install the RPMS from openafs.org)
> | 4) cd /usr/src/openafs-1.2.6
> | 5) read the README and follow the instructions to build for your
> 2.4.19 kerne
> |
> | If that still fails, then it's possible that something was added to
> | 2.4.19 that OpenAFS doesn't know about.  But we would need to get more
> | of a crash dump (oops message) from your machine.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. However, I am curious if a rebuild of the
> openafs kernel src rpm generated after the rebuild of the openafs src
> rpm would do the trick.

No.  The kernel-source RPM is just that.. _SOURCE_.  You still need to
follow these instructions to build the kernel module for your kernel.
I'm just trying to make sure you're using known-to-work packages in
order to limit the problem.

Worst case, you may need to "downgrade" to 2.4.18-X... Is that an
option for you (why are you running 2.4.19)?

> Thanks again.
>
> MS.

-derek