[OpenAFS] Backup using Tape Library

Lester Barrows barrows@email.arc.nasa.gov
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:46:58 -0700

On Friday 20 September 2002 08:18 am, Steve Devine wrote:
> Library Pro. Has any one out there had any experience with these? I am
> particularly interested in a script to mount and unmount tapes as
> needed. I am going to try it with the sample script in the man page for
> CFG_device_name but I expect there may be someone with a better idea.
> Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi Steve,

I haven't tried this particular library, however the mtx package at
http://mtx.sourceforge.net works great with an Exabyte EZ17 autoloader un=
der=20
Linux ia32. They mention "at least Solaris 8" support on their page, and=20
claim to support large media libraries with multiple drives. A Solaris ad=
min=20
here has used it successfully on (I believe) an Ultra 2. He's also using =
an=20
Exabyte EZ17, however it can't hurt to try.

The useage is fairly simple and self-explanatory, commands such as "mtx n=
ext",=20
"mtx inventory" and "mtx load 4" do pretty much what you would expect. I=20
personally use a script which keeps track of the drive number instead of=20
next, but if that information isn't useful to you then the "mtx next" com=
mand=20
should suffice with the example scripts.

One thing I've noticed with this software however, is that at least with =
the=20
EZ17 drives I need to do an "mt offline" before I unload the drive. This =
is=20
the case under both Solaris and Linux.

--
Regards,

Lester Barrows
Asani Solutions, LLC
Code IC Systems Group
NASA Ames Research Center

"Jura rapelcgvba vf bhgynjrq, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl."