[OpenAFS] Global Drives with Windows 2k

Bruno Lopes bruno.lopes@tagus.ist.utl.pt
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:53:10 +0100

Hello,

We just managed to get XP to play nice with afs profiles.
As soon as we installed SP1 we got some errors, which we pinned down on a
group policy.
I believe it is located in Administrative Templates -> User Profiles ->
Revert to Pre SP1 (this i got from the guy who does the win2k policy on the
phone, so it may be slightly off).
After 'fliping' that switch to pre-sp1 behavior all was well. I believe
windows got messed up on the owner of the folders, since it tried to check
it's membership.
I may just be waaaayyy off here,but then again, someone may find this usefull.

Bruno Lopes

At 15:48 24-09-2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>We are now seeing the same showstopper problem with Windows XP SP1 and
>Transarc AFS 3.6 Patch 4 (2.32).  We've been running fine with roaming
>profiles and redirected folders for over 4000 active users.  As soon as we
>installed service pack 1 on Windows XP Pro the profiles cannot download
>out of afs filespace.
>
>The error message that Windows XP returns is along the lines that the
>owner of the roaming profile share location is not correct or is not a
>member of the administrators group.
>
>The XP "c:\winnt\debug\usermode\userenv.log" contains the following upon
>logon...
>
>USERENV(17c.180) 14:56:38:001 CheckRoamingShareOwnership: owner is S-1-0!
>USERENV(17c.180) 14:56:38:001 IsCentralProfileReachable: Ownership check
>failed with 8007051B
>USERENV(17c.180) 14:56:38:001 ReportError: Impersonating user.
>USERENV(17c.180) 14:56:41:666 RestoreUserProfile:  User being logged off
>because of no temp profile policy
>USERENV(17c.180) 14:56:41:676 RestoreUserProfile: Could not load the user
>profile. Error = 3
>USERENV(17c.180) 14:56:41:676 ReportError: Impersonating user.
>USERENV(17c.180) 14:56:42:287 LoadUserProfile: RestoreUserProfile returned
>FALSE
>USERENV(17c.180) 14:56:42:287 LoadUserProfile: LoadUserProfileP failed
>with error 3
>
>At the bottom of this message is the output of the "afsd.log".
>
>I'm not sure what is going on.  It looks like XP may be trying to get the
>owner of the share that exists in AFS filespace.  Since AFS doesn't
>support NTFS acl's this is failing.  But, this in my mind shouldn't
>happen.  Microsoft should not be trying to obtain the owner of the roaming
>profile location.
>
>We've got reports that the next Transarc release (3.6 patch 6) may have
>support for Windows XP.  The current version of AFS doesn't officially
>support Windows XP, only Windows 2000 is supported.
>
>I can only hope that Transarc sees and fixes this problem before they
>release patch 6.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Rodney
>
>Rodney M. Dyer
>PC Systems Programmer
>College of Engineering Computing Services
>University of North Carolina at Charlotte
>Email rmdyer@uncc.edu
>Phone (704)687-3518
>Help Desk Line (704)687-3150
>FAX (704)687-2352