[OpenAFS] client/server-machines

Felix Matschke matschke.felix@gmx.de
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:00:15 +0200 (MEST)

Hi. I am a beginner. Please skip if you mind stupid questions.

My situation is a heterogeneous network (AIX, IRIX, Windows2000), where the
following is presently NOT easily possible: File-transfer (ftp back and forth
yields sometimes different file sizes even for non-text-files), backup
(automatically only possible for the UNIX-machines).

My idea: Installation of OpenAFS as a server AND client on ALL of the
machines (the personal data of every person lying on a "local" volume on the
server-machine he is normally working on).

My questions:
1) Acces of a client-process on a volume on the same machine: Does this
access stay local on the machine (except perhaps update requests to other
server-processes on other machines) or will it slow down the file access
significantly?

2) Sometimes the Windows DOES hang. Are frequently hanging server-machines a
bigger problem for the cell? One machine is an very frequently disconnected
laptop. Should this machine be only a client?

3) The idea of making EVERY machine a server comes from the fact of working
locally most of the time and being able to backup with the automatic
routines. Intelligent or problem-prone?

Thanks for every patient response,

Felix.

--
Werden Sie mit uns zum "OnlineStar 2002"! Jetzt GMX wählen -
und tolle Preise absahnen! http://www.onlinestar.de