[OpenAFS] TransARC to OpenAFS via rpms

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
27 Sep 2002 10:08:11 -0400

steve rader <rader@ginseng.hep.wisc.edu> writes:

> I just blindly upgraded an afs node (linux 2.2.19) from TransARC
> 3.6 to OpenAFS 1.2.6 via these RedHat rpms:
>
>  openafs-client-1.2.6-rh6.2.2
>  openafs-1.2.6-rh6.2.2
>  openafs-kernel-source-1.2.6-rh6.2.2
>
> All I did was crank up the rpms, build and install the
> kernel module, and update/correct the ThisCell, cacheinfo and
> /etc/sysconfig/afs files.

You need to use 'afsmodname' to add the new module to your SymTable,
but that should be in the README in /usr/src/openafs-1.2.6.

> Am I forgetting anything?  Other issues, comments or concerns?

Nope.  That's all she wrote.

> Shouldn't there be a little RedHat OpenAFS README file?
> (Guess that means I should write one for the wiki??)

Not necessarily -- the default is _pretty_ good (i.e. it should
work out of the box).

> Under what circumstances should one install the openafs-compat
> and/or openafs-devel rpms?

You would never need openafs-compat unless you were an old Transarc
shop.  You might want openafs-devel if you want to compile AFS-aware
applications.

> At any rate, thanks to everyone involved in OpenAFS!  It's nice
> to know I can use the Source if ever'n I's need to.

you're welcome.

-derek