[OpenAFS] Rotating log files and server probs

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:21:06 -0400 (EDT)

On 27 Sep 2002, Mitchell D. Baker wrote:

> We stepped up logging a bit to maybe help figure out a problem that has
> cropped up... So really I have 2 questions.. first the short one.. Is
> there any way to rotate the Filelog and rx_dbg log without shutting down
> fileserver?

Sorry.

> Seems that a arbitrary times during the day.. the fileserver process on
> on one of the servers (same server each time) jumps to 95%+ CPU and the
> load on the system starts to rise.. If we catch it in time, we MAY be
> able to issue a bos restart and calm things down.. and the system will
> run for a while longer.. if we don't get to it in time then all of the
> AFS cell locks up and we have to just reboot one or more servers...
>
> Anyone got a clue as to why this would be happening? Where to look for
> the prob?

Perhaps one of the people whose servers were running out of callbacks
could tell us if the "looping trying to free a callback slot" behaves like
this. There's a fix in 1.2.7 but the right answer is to fix
viced/callback.c to not use u_short for storage of the callback index. No
one has gotten to it yet.