[OpenAFS] Rotating log files and server probs

Jared Spencer jareds@us.ibm.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 15:37:02 -0400

--=_alternative 006BC24985256C41_=

>> We stepped up logging a bit to maybe help figure out a problem that has
>> cropped up... So really I have 2 questions.. first the short one.. Is
>> there any way to rotate the Filelog and rx_dbg log without shutting
down
>> fileserver?
>
>Sorry.

Unless this changed in OpenAFS somewhere along the way, you can just move
the FileLog to some other file while the fileserver is running.  There's a
daemon that runs every so often that checks to make sure a FileLog exists
and will create it and start writing to it if it doesn't.

So, at least in IBM AFS, it will keep writing to the renamed file for a
while, then at some point start writing to the new one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ Jared Spencer, MCSA
~~~ AFS Technical Lead
~~~ Staff Software Engineer
~~~ IBM Pittsburgh Lab
~~~ jareds@us.ibm.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--=_alternative 006BC24985256C41_=

figure out a problem that has<br>
&gt;&gt; cropped up... So really I have 2 questions.. first the short one..
Is<br>
&gt;&gt; there any way to rotate the Filelog and rx_dbg log without shutting
down<br>
&gt;&gt; fileserver? <br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;Sorry.<br>
</tt></font>
way, you can just move the FileLog to some other file while the fileserver
is running. &nbsp;There's a daemon that runs every so often that checks
to make sure a FileLog exists and will create it and start writing to it
if it doesn't.</tt></font>
renamed file for a while, then at some point start writing to the new one.</tt></font>
~~~ Jared Spencer, MCSA &nbsp; <br>
~~~ AFS Technical Lead<br>
~~~ Staff Software Engineer<br>
~~~ IBM Pittsburgh Lab<br>