[OpenAFS] AFS service croaking on W2K machines

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Fri, 04 Apr 2003 10:57:27 -0500

Mr. Daniels,

You are right, the service hasn't had a great track record on Windows.  The
Win2k service management console recovery tab allows you to perform
restarts of a service automatically if you want to try that.  It's a built
in part of the service control manager.

See the following image...

http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~rmdyer/recovery.JPG

What we did was task schedule a watchdog script to check the service and
restart it if neccessary.  You can do the same.  We also restart the
service every night at 4:00am and delete the cache just for reliability.

Good luck,

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
x86 Systems Programmer
Mosaic Computing Group
William States Lee College of Engineering
Email rmdyer@uncc.edu
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150
FAX (704)687-2352