[OpenAFS] OpenAFS on OpenBSD

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Fri, 04 Apr 2003 11:50:09 -0500

Thank you for your comments.

I have removed the OpenBSD 2.9 param files.  I generally don't try to offer
support for older versions of the OS.  I just don't have the time, and I
can't believe anyone would really want this.  The list of supported sysnames
in the README is correct.

The INSTALL file comes with configure.  I don't think we customize it.  I
don't think we need to change it.  The wording seems fine: "attempts to
guess..."  Maybe Nathan can help make configure guess the right sysname, but
it's beyond my limited expertise.  Anyway, A-2 in the README says that
--with-afs-sysname is a "necessary flag."  I don't know how we can make this
any clearer, but feel free to send me a patch for the README.

I only mentioned gmake because that's what I use.  If the standard make
doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll fix it.  I don't think this needs
to be mentioned in the README.

You are of course free to use non-transarc-paths if you want.  I have not
tested this configuration.  The package builder should work whether you
built with transarc-paths or not.  If it doesn't, let me know and I'll fix
it.

The package builder installs the client using Transarc paths regardless of
how you built, because that's what I'm used to.  If you (or anyone) would
like to send me patches to the package builder to enable non-transarc-paths
I will be happy to look at them.  It's not obvious to me how to do this.  I
will add a note to the README.

I have no plans to do an "OpenBSD port."  I have no plans to coordinate with
OpenBSD to have anything incorporated with their releases.

  - the 'SRC=../../../../.. ' is very specific... you expect the sources
  unter '/usr/src/openafs-x.x.x', right?

No.  I used a relative path so you could put the source wherever you want.
It probably won't work if you used "configure" to make an obj tree separate
from the source tree, but other than that, it shouldn't care.

  - couldn't find 'pinstall/pinstall', 'afsd/afsd', 'afsd/afs.rc.obsd' in
  my installation under '/usr/local/openafs' (actually I've chosen this

Not sure what you mean by this.  Is this using "make install" or pkg_add?  I
don't know whether "make install" will install a client, probably not.

The postinstall only makes /afs if it doesn't already exist, so there should
not be a conflict with arla.  Did you have a problem with this?

Do you really think it's necessary to mention in the README that you can't
run both arla and OpenAFS at the same time?  Seems obvious, but I'll put it
in.