[OpenAFS] vos move & vos rel failing on large volumes

Lee Damon nomad@ssli-mail.ee.washington.edu
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:24:11 -0700

Ray,

How long does a vos rel or a vos move of a 2GB volume take for you?  We're
seeing things like 8 hours to release a slightly over 1GB volume between two
fileservers connected to the same gig switch.  This sounds really, really
bad to me.  I figured the release was throttled to keep it from
taking too much time away from other services, but I'm just guessing here.

nomad

> Lee Damon wrote:
>

> > time vos move -fromserver kite -frompartition /vicepc -toserver potential
> > -topartition /vicepf -id v.s8.cadence.2002a
> > exit
> > Failed to move data for the volume 536872898
> >    rxk: sealed data inconsistent
> > vos move: operation interrupted, cleanup in progress...
> > clear transaction contexts
> > FATAL: VLDB access error: abort cleanup
> > cleanup complete - user verify desired result
>
> Hi Lee,
> 	We also have volumes larger than 2GB, some around 8GB of data and have
> been able to move them.  You may want to issue your vos move command
> again with the -verbose option to see if there is more info on what
> exactly is failing and then repost to the list.  Unfortunately, we
> haven't seen this problem yet on our site so I can't be of more help.
>

> -Ray

nomad
 -----------                       - Lee "nomad" Damon -          \
work: nomad@ee.washington.edu                                      \
play: nomad@castle.org    or castle!nomad                           \
                                                                    /\
Sr. Systems Admin, UWEE SSLI Lab                                   /  \
                "Celebrate Diversity"                             /    \