[OpenAFS] Changing AFS passwords in Windows

Brian Sebby sebby@anl.gov
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:17:13 -0500

In our cell, we are still using the v4 kaserver for AFS passwords (though
we are moving towards strictly v5 based passwords).  Today, I was trying
to help one of our Windows users change his password, at which point I
discovered that there's no easy way to do this in Windows.

The only way I could find was to load up the Account Manager from the
Control Center as my admin user, and then click on my user name and use
the "Change Password" option.  However, I could not get it to display
my account information when I attempted to login as my user account.  (I was
expecting it would at least show my account.)  In addition, I found the
Account Manager to be slow, and it seems like it's more of an administrative
tool than a user tool.

Are there any other methods of changing the AFS password in Windows, or has
anyone written a front end GUI to the system?  I tried using the command
line kpasswd tool provided, but it couldn't seem to find my cell name or
DNS addresses for the AFS servers.  I eventually had to show the user how
to log onto our Unix system to run kpasswd there, but I'd like to avoid
this for our Windows users.

Thanks,

Brian

--
Brian Sebby  (sebby@anl.gov)  |  Distributed Computing Administration
Phone: +1 630.252.9935        |  Computing and Instrumentation Solutions