[OpenAFS] ktc_principal, smbname and Windows

Bruno Lopes bruno.lopes@tagus.ist.utl.pt
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:28:44 +0100

Hello
We are using afs in our college to store the windows roaming profiles,
and to do that we altered some code to aklog in order for it so work
when running as SYSTEM and put the token on the correct cache (
strncpy'd the username to the smbname field of aclient in auth_to_cell)
Our problem now is the limitation on the smbname field , being 16 char
long only ( I believe), when some of our usernames are longer than that,
resulting in the ticket not being placed on the correct place.
My questions are:
Why 16? Is there a reason for that number outside of afs code? It seems
to be used only to tell who does the ticket belong to...
Can it be increased? If it can, where do we need to change it?
Has anyone else notice this problem?
Thank You

Bruno Lopes