[OpenAFS] ktc_principal, smbname and Windows

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 11:47:33 -0400

Mr. Lopes,

It looks like you are trying the same thing we did.  We never encountered
your problem because all of our usernames are 8 characters or less.  This
is because we have a history in UNIX (Sun OS and Solaris) and most unix'es
don't allow, or don't promote the use of usernames longer than 8.  This is
probably just for that reason.  Eg. programmers hardcoding limits in unix
code so UNIX has to live with the legacy until all the code gets fixed.

This has caused some aggravations because Novell and Microsoft allow longer
names.  Even Microsoft limits usernames to 14 characters.  In this respect
I'm surprised that you would have longer names, I mean how are you getting
logged onto the workstations?

Rodney