[OpenAFS] OpenAFS vs NFSv4?

John Rudd jrudd@ucsc.edu
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:10:17 -0700

> From: Rodney M Dyer <rmdyer@uncc.edu>
>
> At 08:06 AM 4/28/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >--On Monday, April 28, 2003 1:49 AM -0500 Ryan Underwood
> ><nemesis-lists@icequake.net> wrote:
> >
> >"...I don't think there is namespace abstraction so you can move data
> >between file servers without it being user-visible."
>
> As a long time user of AFS, I don't understand how some people don't get
> the "global namespace" idea.  I also don't understand why this isn't being
> promoted as -the- single most important criteria of the versatility of
> AFS.  As I understand it, no other filesystem in existance has this
> capability, right?

You can get something which abstracts the mount point away from the _user_
with a good set of automounter maps, but that still requires that each
client keeps a current and up to date copy of the maps.  And it doesn't
address any of the other points you brought up.  Just the part about the
mount point and server are abstracted waway from the user, so that you
can in fact change things out from under them without the user noticing.

I think that's as close as NFS comes to this.