[OpenAFS] OpenAFS vs NFSv4?

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:29:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Norman P. B. Joseph wrote:

> Check out what Spinnaker Networks is trying to do with their NAS
> product:
>
> 	http://www.spinnakernet.com/
>
> They're hiding AFS functionality behind a NAS head, serving out CIFS &
> NFS (thus no client-side code requirements, -or- byte-range locking
> issues).  They support global namespace and volume location hiding.
>
> So, at least one NAS company gets the idea of the "global namespace",
> and is selling (or trying to sell) on that idea.

An interesting note here is that there are many former Transarc folks
at Spinnaker working on this project.  Names that many of us would
recognize, including the original architect of AFS from CMU whose name
I'm always forgetting.

I've talked to a few folks there and they are _very_ interested in
selling to existing AFS sites.  Largely because they feel we are the
group that actually understands the value of what they are adding over
and above the typical NAS feature set.

-Mitch