[OpenAFS] OpenAFS vs NFSv4?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:36:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> An interesting note here is that there are many former Transarc folks
> at Spinnaker working on this project.  Names that many of us would
> recognize, including the original architect of AFS from CMU whose name
> I'm always forgetting.

I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that it was Al Spector, and I know he's not at
Spinnaker.

If you mean Lyle Seaman, he's not there anymore, either.

> I've talked to a few folks there and they are _very_ interested in
> selling to existing AFS sites.  Largely because they feel we are the
> group that actually understands the value of what they are adding over
> and above the typical NAS feature set.

Not that as a university employee with no budget anyway that I have any
money to spend, but I think they understand what I want but instead are
trying to give me a different (but partly overlapping with what I have)
subset of what I want.

For that matter there are people at Panasas with AFS backgrounds as well,
and I don't know much about their product, but I could just as easily see
them as being the people who gave us what we wanted.

Of course I think we could have what we wanted already if we had any real
resources to throw at it.