[OpenAFS] OpenAFS vs NFSv4?

Ted Anderson TedAnderson@mindspring.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:14:37 -0400

On 4/28/2003 10:50, Rodney M Dyer wrote:
> With AFS you can setup a very low priced, fully distributed, extremely
> scaleable network with low priced commodity Linux/Intel Sun/Solaris
> boxes.  The performance is excellent on the client because of
> client-side caching, and the ability to put the data near the client.  I
> won't even get into the security of AFS except to say that being based
> on Kerberos and ACL's for a long time, it has always "already been
> there, done that".  Oh, and your users can setup their own personal
> groups...try that on another filesystem!

The issue of user managable groups is another of my favorite features
which I forgot to mention.  I think this is a key scalability issue that
eases the admin workload especially when you have thousands of users.
Like a lot of other AFS features the admins and users get this, but no
one else in the world realizes how great a feature this is.  (At least I
think users get this.)  Is this because no other file system scales to
10^5 users (again excepting DFS which also has this feature)?

Anyway, add "user groups" to the AFS plus column.

Ted Anderson