[OpenAFS] re: my afs wish list (fwd)

Dean Anderson dean@av8.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:04:21 -0400 (EDT)

Oops, I knew I hadn't quite finished this message:

Speaking of encryption, I see that there is a global variable that
controls encryption (set through fs encrypt) that is set to 0 (off) by
default. Does anyone object to a compile-time switch to change the
default to on?

afs/afs_conn.c:

#ifndef CRYPT_BY_DEFAULT
afs_int32 cryptall = 0;
#else
afs_int32 cryptall = 1;
#endif

		--Dean

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:22:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: Dean Anderson <dean@av8.com>
To: openafs-info@openafs.org
Subject: re: my afs wish list

> From: Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org>
> Subject: [OpenAFS] my afs wish list
>
> Mitch's comment about telling Spinnaker what AFS sites might want from
> their product prompts me to tell you (all) what I want from ours.
>
> -Multiple encryption types. For real, not just jury-rigged into rxkad.

You mean something like "rxblowfishd" (the ka means kerberos
authentication, right...)  I was looking at the RX spec last week. It
seems that there are hooks just for this. Unfortunatly, there seem to be
some hints in the rest of the afs code that use rkaxd specific headers and
functions.

Speaking of encryption, I see that there is a global variable that
controls encryption (set through fs encrypt)

> -Large file support. We actually got there, and had to back it out because
> of some problems. There's hope...

Is this in CVS? What tag?  Is there a writeup/description of the problems?
Someone mentioned something last week about 16 gig volumes on 40 gig
partitions....

> -IPv6 support
>
> And then we get to some of the more intangibles:
> -Better krb5 integration. I'm not sure what I mean by this, exactly.

How about better user management???

> -Serious Linux client cleanup. kernel vnodes should be untied from the
> vcache and linked instead. start using general kernel interfaces where
> available or possible instead of our own stuff.
> -Reworking or replacement of the volume package (the contents of src/vol)

I have come across recently some "AFS 4.0" presentations given by Transarc
back in the DCE process. (I used to work for OSF back in the 89-91). I
might be able to scan these in. Or send a xerox to someone who will. They
are somewhat high level, but informative. As anyone with DCE experience
knows, there were major changes with DFS, but there were some good ideas.
Like for example a logging volume package (called episode).  Since there
are a number of logging filesystems out there now, perhaps one of them can
be modified or used as a guide for be a volume replacement.  I don't
really like VFS exporters--half the benefit of AFS is the fileset
management stuff. You can download the source for DCE (it is free for
non-commercial use. Parts of DCE run on Linux thanks to Jim Doyle. (DFS
doesn't).

> -Reworking or replacement of the namei fileserver.
>
> And incidentally, since I've been prodded, perhaps Mitch meant Mike Kazar,
> who I forgot about.

		--Dean