[OpenAFS] my afs wish list

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 21:45:46 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, David Bear wrote:

> I've been following the discussion here regarding AFS and plugable
> auth methods and encryption.  I find it interesting.  And, it is more
> interesting that nobody has mentioned anything about a better windows
> client.  Possible intereprations are (1) I'm the only one that has
> problems with it (2) all the AFS developers are UNIX guys and don't
> care much for support windows clients -- (3) some intersection of 1
> and 2...

I don't use Windows, so it's not on my wish list. I know people who want
it, and I'd be happy to see it. But I don't know what the answer is for
improving performance in a way we as an open source project can do.

> And the A number 1 thing that I hate about afs on windows is that it
> uses the smbserver and generates lots of noise in the log files about
> unable to determine smb type, or failures to start in some profiles
> but not others, or how it selects serverprefs different for linux, ...

Not using the smb stuff would be nice, but as yet I've seen nothing that
indicates it would be an ongoing concern if we did a real filesystem for
Windows (and at least at this moment, I don't know enough to do it
anyway). Particularly, if we knew what to do now, it's not clear
Microsoft wouldn't decide to be different in the next version in a way no
one could figure out.