[OpenAFS] my afs wish list

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:31:55 +0100

AFS wish list?

a) AFS kernel modules included with the Linux kernel.
    (see also: http://kernel.org/  )

    This would help in portability to new Linux platforms
    and (hopefully) identify any "integration" problems early.

b) A bit more robustness in rc.afs.
    Example: do not attempt to start afsd if the database servers
    for {ThisCell} are not accessible via network.

    This would help avoid ugly problems on client machines
    in some circumstances (server power failure, network outage, etc).

    example: http://www.angelfire.com/hi/plutonic/images/afs

c) An optional capability to define database server preferences
    ( a bit like fileserver preferences).

   Most of the time, we would expect to be able to access all the
   db servers for {ThisCell}.

   Sometimes, it would be useful to "identify a downed db server".
   Would be nice if the client could also automatically figure out
   that a previously "downed" db server has become active again.

   For cells which have database servers in several countries,
   it would be useful to be able to define a preference (eg: try the closest
   db server first).

d) When upgrading OpenAFS using: "rpm -Fvh ${openafs_rpm}"
    please do not trash my existing /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB.

    I know what should be in my CellServDB, "rpm" does not.

    Instead, if /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB exists, then create
    /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB.rpmnew.
    This would be consistent with other RedHat rpm upgrading.

Thanks to the volunteers working on OpenAFS.
Let's ensure OpenAFS lives long and prospers!
--
cheers
paul                          http://acm.org/~mpb

  "When you do system administration well, it's very nearly invisible."
   --Jody Kravitz