[OpenAFS] (no subject)

Wolfgang Friebel friebel@ifh.de
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:42:19 +0200 (MEST)

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Jenkins, Steven wrote:

> We've been working with Norbert on his AFS Perl API, and the bos & vos
> APIs are next on the list, so I thought I'd get input on the
> design/requirements people have.
>
> Do bos first, primarily because this will be the first 'AFS internals'
> development project for the student, and the bos interface will be
> easier:

When I was developing an admin interface to delegate some admin tasks to
knowledgeable users (or group admins) I basically needed commands from the
vos suite.

Especially the correct parsing of the list* and examine functions was
important (and ugly), as the ASCII output had to be converted back into
well defined structures. Even if the other vos functions are not in place
yet that would help already.

The bos suite of commands is much more seldomly used and normally needs
not to be automated in the first place. Analyzing the volumes and their
characteristics is probably a task that is done in many places. Therefore
I would vote to start with the vos list functions if there is a choice.

Best regards
Wolfgang Friebel
    Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY |  Phone:  +49 33762 77372  |
    Platanenallee 6                       |  Fax:    +49 33762 77216  |
    D-15738 Zeuthen  Germany              |  E-Mail: friebel@ifh.de   |