[OpenAFS] AFS Perl API bos & vos requirements

Jason Young jason_young@ncsu.edu
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:16:35 -0400

--==========2147506658==========

--On Wednesday, April 30, 2003 11:51 AM -0400 "Jenkins, Steven"
<JENKINSS@mail.etsu.edu> wrote:

> We've been working with Norbert on his AFS Perl API, and the bos & vos
> APIs are next on the list, ...

I'll second Bob Cook's "Thanks!" for asking and for working on any of this.
We've actually had a couple of people look at some of the vos ex (and pts
mem) ops for a windows user tool we had once - and I seem to remember a
curse word or two being uttered about adding that (which wasn't the focus
of the app anyway, well some of the cursing ended up being the focus ;-).

We use the vos suite a great deal in our perl scripts - the ones we wrapped
the output are (we did this before knowing about the API, and for a time we
needed the scripts to work on Solaris, Linux, and Windows, so some of it
was just easier to wrap the stdin/stdout/stderr).

@EXPORT_OK = qw(   doFsMakemount
                   doFsRemovemount
                   doFsSetacl
                   getFsListQuota
                   getFsExamine
                   getFsListacl
                   getFsLsmount
                   getFsWhichcell
                   doFsSetquota
                   doFsCopyacl
                   doPtsAdduser
                   doPtsRemoveuser
                   doPtsCreategroup
                   doPtsDelete
                   doVosCreate
                   doVosCreatespace
                   doVosRemove
                   getTokenInfo
                   getPtsExamInfo
                   getPtsMemberInfo
                   getPtsOwnerInfo
                   getVosExamInfo
                   getVosListvolInfo
                   getVosPartInfo
                   isCellAdmin
                   translatePerms )

So I guess:

vos create
vos remove
vos exam
vos listvol
vos partinfo

are the one we use by far the most - we actually don't do a lot of
replication other than software binaries, which we always seem to do by
hand.

We end up returning a hash for everything - with the relevant info as field
members, and T/F if the command actually failed/succeeded, with error
output as $info{'error'}.  Matching the command line would be great in my
opinion.

Jason

 Jason Young  # ITECS Systems Group Manager
 NC State University College of Engineering