[OpenAFS] my afs wish list

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
30 Apr 2003 12:37:12 -0400

Paul Blackburn <mpb@est.ibm.com> writes:

> AFS wish list?
>
> a) AFS kernel modules included with the Linux kernel.
>     (see also: http://kernel.org/  )
>
>     This would help in portability to new Linux platforms
>     and (hopefully) identify any "integration" problems early.

I've discussed this with a number of people and, frankly, it would be
a PitA to do this.  It would basically require someone who's full-time
job was to keep porting back and forth between OpenAFS and Linux
source trees.  It would also require fixing the build process ("rx",
"rxkad", and "afs" would/should all be separate modules instead of one
large module).  It would ALSO require porting to Linux-2.5 at this
point, and working around the half-baked AFS client that already
exists in the kernel.

> b) A bit more robustness in rc.afs.
>     Example: do not attempt to start afsd if the database servers
>     for {ThisCell} are not accessible via network.
>
>     This would help avoid ugly problems on client machines
>     in some circumstances (server power failure, network outage, etc).
>
>     example: http://www.angelfire.com/hi/plutonic/images/afs

Turn on dynroot.

> d) When upgrading OpenAFS using: "rpm -Fvh ${openafs_rpm}"
>     please do not trash my existing /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB.
>
>     I know what should be in my CellServDB, "rpm" does not.
>
>     Instead, if /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB exists, then create
>     /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB.rpmnew.
>     This would be consistent with other RedHat rpm upgrading.

Yea, yea, yea...

My plan for the next major release (read: non-1.2 release) is to
distribute a CellServDB.public as part of the RPM and change the rc
script to build a CellServDB from CellServDB.public and an optional
CellServDB.local.  You would modify the .local to get changes into
CellServDB.

-derek