[OpenAFS] Client looks for a machine-afs kerberos host key

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Thu, 07 Aug 2003 11:34:29 -0500

Jerome Walter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just started again trying to get my afs clients to work under windows with a
> MIT Kerberos KDC.

You are using K4 protocal, I assume, as you said you are using afscreds.exe

> This time, it is a few better, but nothing wonderful. First of all, i only get
> access to my AFS files if i am not authenticated. When authenticating, i
> manage to get the credentials with afscreds.exe. But when i get these
> credentials, the share does not work anymore :
>  - first i kepp the access to files in cache, but it breaks quickly.
>  - when trying to get access to any file not in cache, i get an error telling
>    that afs server does not respond or is in process of being started.
>
>    Do you know from where can come this problem of credentials ?

Sounds like the token you have obtained is encrypted in a key that is not
in the AFS KeyFile, or the keys don't match.

I was running into similiar behavior when testing the msklog program.

There is a way to use rxdebug to see the error number on a connection.
I just don't recall.

> The second point, and the one in the title concerns what i got with
> ethereal.
> When trying to get access to files after being authenticated, the client looks
> for and host entry having the name dtc-afs, dtc being the name of the client
> machine. Althought i created an host/dtc-afs@REALM i get an error saying the
> principal is not known. Do i have to encode it witha  special salt ?

This looks like the Windows rediretor on the client is trying to get
a K5 ticket for the cachemanager which is running samba on the local machine.
I have seen  this too, but it sould not be a problem, as the AFS client is passing
the AFS token to the cachmanager seperatly.