[OpenAFS] Inodes for "dot" and "dot dot" when current dir is mount point

Todd DeSantis atd@us.ibm.com
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:14:35 -0400

HI Kim:

> Does the CM keep track of the inode info for
> "." and ".." ??
> Is it stored in the mount point itself?

Yes, the CM keeps track of the inode for "." and
"..".

Using kdump, look at the volumes section

30d78370: cell=1, vol=1969654142, name=nil, roVol=0, backVol=0
        rwVol=1969654142, AcTime=1060183689, copyDate=0,
        expTime=1060198092, vtix=-1, refC=0, states=2
        Volume's statuses: [0]
        Volume's servers: [30f022c0]
***     dotdot(c=1, v=1969649050, n=285, u=125573)
***     mtpnt(c=1, v=1969649050, n=6090, u=127291)
        lock=0x0

See the dotdot and mntpoint FIDs.  These point to the parent
directory (dotdot) and the FID that actually contains the
mountpoint information (nntpnt).

So this information is stored in the volume structure.

Thanks

Todd

                      "Dexter 'Kim'
                      Kimball"                   To:       "Openafs-Info@Openafs.Org" <openafs-info@openafs.org>
                      <dhk@ccre.com>             cc:
                      Sent by:                   Subject:  [OpenAFS] Inodes for "dot" and "dot dot" when current dir is mount
                      openafs-info-admin@         point
                      openafs.org

                      08/08/2003 01:45 PM
                      Please respond to
                      kim.kimball

Solaris/IBM AFS shows the same inode number for "." and ".." when the CWD
"is" a mount point  (i.e. I cd to a mount point and am at the root node of
the volume).

$ /usr/afsws/bin/fs mkm goober root.cell

$ cd goober
$ ls -ial
total 84
    196609 drwxr-xr-x   5 root     root        2048 Aug 24  2002 .
    196609 drwxr-xr-x   2 kim      jpl         2048 Aug  8 10:34 ..

OpenAFS 1.2.8 does not:

[kim@magic kim]$ fs mkm foober root.cell
[kim@magic kim]$ cd foober
[kim@magic foober]$ ls -ia
 397436 .    196622 AFS   196613 books   196626 project   196616 sw
196617 vcds
 262146 ..   196636 bar   196615 doc     196612 RPMS      196611 user
196624 www

Does the CM keep track of the inode info for "." and ".." ??
Is it stored in the mount point itself?
Anybody know why Solaris/IBM AFS would report the same inode for "." and
".."  -- only place I expected to see this was / ... where there is no
parent for ".." to map to.

?????

Thanks.

Kim