[OpenAFS] individual file dump

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:00:33 -0400

> > so I guess I don't see what
> > this would by you (versus just using "cp" directly).
>
>There's ACL(s) on dot, yes?  So the above would create a
>vos dump/restore data stream for dumping dot, it's acls and
>./.bash_profile
>
>Sorry, I should be more specific: I'm asking for a way to dump
>a file and all it's connecting directories relative to it's
>volume root.

Ah, okay, that's slightly different, in my mind :-)

In my experience with dumptool, I noticed that it seems like even when
you're doing an incremental dump, it dumps the complete directory
hierarchy (actually, thinking about how the volserver works, that makes
sense).  See, the volserver doesn't really know about the directory
structure; it just dumps vnodes in vnode order and their associated data.
So in your hyptothetical vos dump extension, you would get all of the
directory hierarcy plus one file ... which may or may not be what you
want.  If I were you, I'd invest my time is writing a userspace utility
which just dealt with the filesystem (and of course called all of the
AFS calls to get ACLs and the like).

--Ken