[OpenAFS] pts membership

Chris McClimans openafs-info@mcclimans.net
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 10:56:24 -0500

Can any authenticated user list pts membership? In the US University
system we are all governed by FERPA and cannot release information
(such as class enrollment) unless the students specifically allow it.

LDAP and AFS/pts are where I planned to store the grouping data that
allows us to authorize students to resources required for a particular
class. However, limiting the view of who is contained in these groups
is proving difficult. The only way I see to do this for fall and still
work under FERPA is asking the students to allow class group data
(classes they are currently enrolled in) to be public. I'd like to
brainstorm with anyone on technical solutions. My previous plans were
nss_ldap and AFS and not enforce private group membership. However, now
I'm facing Federal Law and need to comply.

I may back off of storing the information in public LDAP and only using
PTS and application specific services with mail so that the grouping
data can only be seen with a mail/service kerberos ticket or something.
-chris